The 2021-22 NHL season starts tonight for five of the seven Canadian NHL teams and to help get the season rolling we have a bold prediction for each team. Well almost every team, the more we read Vancouver’s prediction, the less bold it seemed but it is still a prediction nonetheless.
1. Toronto Maple Leafs – After yet another disappointing season, GM Kyle Dubas will spend several minutes doubting that the core is good enough to win in the playoffs. He will quickly snap back to reality and realize of course he still believes in this core and he didn’t need that job anyway.
2. Montreal Canadiens – After coming so close last year, Marc Bergevin takes the unconventional approach of making the team worse than last year which pays off when they win the 2022 Stanley Cup. The even lower expectations will be all they need to get over the hump.
3. Winnipeg Jets – Connor Hellebuyck becomes the first player ever to win The Jack Adams and Vezina award in the same year. After getting bored in net after they upgraded their defense, Hellebuyck also takes over coaching duties from a fired Paul Maurice.
4. Edmonton Oilers – Connor Mcdavid will make his first appearance in the finals. It will be for Team Canada in the Olympics where he will win a gold medal but it will provide some excitement in a year where Edmonton loses in the first round again.
5. Ottawa Senators – With a lot of youth and a bright future, Ottawa will take the next step and start earning moral victories. Their season sweep against the Buffalo Sabres will help them surpass last season’s moral victory total by 3.
6. Vancouver Canucks – Will be the only team to have players named Bo and Thatcher. No other team will even come close.
7. Calgary Flames – Will become the first team in NHL history to win every single road game just from the adrenaline of getting out of Alberta